Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Goodbye Michael....I will always love you...

I was down to one check....One check left with Mine and Michael's names on it...I knew way before I got down to one check that it was time I did something about it...It was like, 'the end'...
I thought taking his ashes back to Indiana was my end...It took me a year after he died to do that..
There was this one last thing that needed to be done and it was difficult...No more Mr. and Mrs. for me to see...No more deposit slips to fill out showing it was 'our' bank account...
This may seem strange to some, as he has been gone for five years now but it was a very difficult step....He hadn't deposited anything in that account for all those years but it was 'ours'...'us'...When he was alive he deposited to that account....He spoiled me...I miss that...I miss him...

I had the death certificate in my purse and walked into the bank...It was difficult for me to tell the Service Rep that I needed to take my husbands name off my bank account...Seems this is something that is done all the time so she didn't act like it was any different transaction than most...
I handed her the death certificate and she proceded to type away at the keyboard....I didn't know what she was doing exactly but on a screen,I could see mine and Michael's names...She entered this and entered that and when it came to removing Michael's name from the account, it wouldn't remove... My heart was in my throat as she called her manager over there and told her what was going on...I know it was a strange thought but I was thinking maybe he didn't want his name off there...Maybe he didn't want this final goodbye because,I sure as hell didn't....

Finally,the bank manager took me over to her desk and she did the entering and deleting things that she does and his name was gone...
Just like that....The love of my life's name was off the bank account we shared so many years...This was the finish...The end of Mr. and Mrs. as I knew it...I have nothing left in this world to identify myself with Michael except a marriage license and a death certificate....

Goodbye Michael....I will ALWAYS love you...

8 Comments:

Blogger Aye said...

Awwww Granny, you got me all misty... AGAIN!!! I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that he will always be with you as long as you hold onto your precious memories. Wild the way his name woudn't remove at first, as I was reading that part I was having the same thought as you did!!!

12:12 AM  
Blogger susan said...

Granny, I'm sending a bunch of flowers.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Lilly said...

awwwwwwwwww granny.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

I did fail to mention I have the memories...Wonderful, precious sweet memories that I will carry with me until I see him again but I have to tell ya'll something...

I use to believe in the saying, " It's better to have loved and lost, than to never loved at all" but, until I lost my precious best friend I honestly feel like, " you can't miss what you've never had"...If I had never had the wonderful sweet life that Michael and I shared, I certainly couldn't miss it...

2:23 PM  
Blogger steve turner said...

Boo Hoo, damn girl! If that can make ME sad, it is.

I'd liked it better when you had grandpa's nads in a vice.

Your writing is getting extra skippy precious.

If people ask if life is good, just say: fucking aye!

11:03 AM  
Blogger steve turner said...

Well Smoogie, I am officially single and free now. My ex has a boyfriend. All those chiggers and waterless days were for naught.

Maybe I'll drill a glory hole in a stall and moove in with Elsie.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

Damnit Steve...
I didn't get to see the pics!! Didn't even get to put clear finger nail polish on ya chiggers...WTF??
Elsie might just MOOOOVE over fer ya...

'Smoogie'

5:08 PM  
Blogger me said...

This was very sad, Gran. When my Nan died, the last thing I packed from her room was a little hand bell that you ring for service...a joke someone got her. I stared at that bell for what seemed like hours...just hoping it would, "miraculously ring" all by itself...like the saying in the movie..."It's A Wonderful Life" all that mattered to me was that my Nan got her wings and she was in heaven.
I'm sure if ya pay real close attention, you will hear Michael and your sister's bells.
It is good to have loved that deeply Gran...hang on to that.
God Bless.

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home